You are not the only one who struggles with a To-Do list that’s too long.
Most people write To-Do lists – but most of the people I work with either have very LONG To-Do lists OR they have dozens of slips of paper with To-Do lists from days, weeks, months and sometimes years ago. Let’s look at how you can tweak your current To-Do list to make it more functional.
Here are a few ideas to help you gain more confidence and control of your To-Do list.
• Make your giant to do list (sometimes called a ‘brain dump’) on 1 big piece of paper or on a spread sheet – don’t over think it – just start writing.
• Assign a 1, 2 or 3 to each project. Jobs that take under 5 minutes get a 1, any task that takes an hour or two gets a 2 and long term projects get a 3.
• Now go through your list and put your projects into these 3 categories.
• Highlight the most important items on your list so they ‘grab’ your attention.
• Look at your list and see what you can pass on to someone else. If you have the mindset that you are the only one that can do it, you may be doing yourself a disservice. Think outside the box.
• Start each day by doing several of your ‘1’ projects. You’l feel a sense of accomplishment which will motivate you to want to do more.
• Take a look at your highlighted items and make those your priority for the day.
• If there is a task that you are absolutely dreading, work on it for 10 minutes each day. Once you get started, you may find that you can finish it. We tend to ‘awfulize’ certain things and they aren’t nearly as scary once we ‘just do it.’
• Set reasonable expectations of yourself – most people do not complete their entire To-Do list in a day – set aside a realistic amount of time to get items knocked off your list. If you set minimum standards for each day, you can feel some satisfaction which will motivate you to keep the momentum going. Unrealistic expectations will only cause frustration and overwhelm which is not a good strategy (been there, done that!).
• I have a fun little treat for those of you who want to improve your To-Do list strategies. Email me and I will send it to you by mail. If I don’t already have your mailing address, you may need to send it to me.
To learn more about improving your productivity, sign up for a free webinar on June 12th at http://www.thebizknows.com/web.html. See details below under June Webinar.
$99 Phone Consult Special
In just one hour, we will identify three pressing issues for you to handle this summer and create a personalized Plan of Attack tailored to your needs and work style. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
Tackling Time Management
featuring Cindy Bernstein
sponsored by The Biz Knows LLC
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Go to The Biz Knows to register.