August 2021 – Conquering Overwhelm
“You don’t need to predict how everything will play out. Just master the next step and continue moving in the right direction.”
One of the most common things I hear from perspective clients is “I’m overwhelmed and don’t know where to start.” Overwhelm can be debilitating and can prevent you from making progress when the lack of progress is often causing the overwhelm.
I hope these tips can help you the next time you feel paralyzing overwhelm:
- Focus on right now. Forget about next week, tomorrow or even later today. What do you need to do right now? It might be get some nourishment, it might be reaching out for clarification or it might be 10 minutes of the overwhelming activity that you are avoiding. Ten minutes is a digestible amount of time and it will at least create some momentum.
- Do a brain dump. Write down everything that’s floating in your brain. You can even divide it into 3 categories – Today, Next Week or Next Month. Obviously the Today items will need your attention but you may not realistically be able to do ALL of your Today items today….but pick ONE and get that done. I promise you will feel better.
- Suck it up and ask for help. If you really have too much on your plate, ask for help. Whether it’s a friend or relative (and you can offer to help them as payback) or whether it’s paying for help….either option can greatly relieve overwhelm. Many people feel better after talking the overwhelm out with another person.
- Surrender – if you have too much on your plate and you cannot physically or emotionally accomplish what you think you need to do, admit defeat and extract yourself from whatever you think you ‘need’ to do. It might mean withdrawing offers of support for others, meeting someone for a meal or declining a trip if necessary. Your mental health is more important than meeting impossible deadlines.
Life is stressful and we all need help from time to time. I hope you gain the willingness to reach out for help so you can reduce the overwhelm in your life. Sunny skies to all!
Declutter Challenge Club
“I am motivated because of your positive feedback, encouragement and suggestions. Little did I realize when I walked into your class 1 1/2 yrs ago, that I would be decluttering my house. You have been a blessing to me.” -Diana, Club Member
The Aim 4 Order Declutter Club members are making great progress and
- Appreciate the short, motivational daily emails.
- Love the twice per month B.Y.O.C. (Bring Your Own Clutter) Zoom calls.
- Interact and share decluttering challenges and achievements
- Feel accepted – no judging or shaming permitted
- Are making steady progress
Membership is open to all, you can start today or whenever you want. Would love to see you there!
SIGN UP HERE. (APOLOGIES FOR INSERTING AN EXPIRED LINK LAST MONTH)
Please email me if you have any questions or need additional information.
“Helping Baby Boomers and their Parents Lighten their Loads”
If you are feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in your home, contact me. Together, we can transform your home into a happy, tidy place where you can feel at peace. We can also get you ready for your next move… more enjoyably, faster and easier. We specialize in senior moves and helping families find new homes for the things they no longer have room to keep. We can also take care of clearing out homes that need to be listed quickly for resale. Contact me to schedule an appointment.